Meet our Interns!

Every summer we take on a few College Scholars as interns to help us with important projects and provide College Scholars an opportunity to learn more about the world of nonprofits and education. Our interns are in the final weeks of their internship and we're going to miss them when they head back to school. Check out what they've been up to all summer!

Maricarla Campoverde-Herrera

My name is Maricarla Campoverde-Herrera and I graduated from Round Lake High School in 2014. I am a rising senior at Swarthmore College, class of 2018, with a double major of Peace and Conflict Studies and Spanish. At Swarthmore, I am involved with the Admissions Office, the Fencing Club,  and Enlace, which is a Latino student organization that provides events and a sense of community to the Latino community on campus. Currently, I am a Schuler General Intern, which has given me the (fun!) opportunity to work on transition to college events and high school programming. One of the most memorable experiences so far was co-creating a video project of Round Lake college scholars and alum with a fellow intern and friend. I am very excited to continue my summer with Schuler!

Erica Chau

Hi! My name is Erica Chau and I graduated from Warren Township High School in 2014 as a Schuler Scholar. I’m currently a rising senior at Tufts University where I’m studying Social Psychology and Child and Human Development. I’m very involved in the Vietnamese Student Club and I was previously a Peer Leader for the Asian American Center on campus. I also work at the front desk for the Financial Aid Office, Chemistry Stockroom, and Tufts Mail Services. This summer, I’m interning for Schuler where most of my time is spent creating and leading art workshops for high school scholars or event planning. This internship has been such a great opportunity for me to practice skills that will transfer well into a career path I’d like to go into after college. To be an art teacher is my dream job; however, I’m also growing more interested in event planning and non-profit work. I’m very grateful for this opportunity and I’m excited to learn more about and give back to the program. 

De'Andra Graham 

I graduated from Collins Academy High school in 2016 as the Salutatorian. I am a rising sophomore at Smith College majoring in Engineering. I am involved in the Black Student Alliance, ResLife, National Society for Black Engineers, AEMES, and First Gene Club on my campus. As a STEM Intern for a Schuler this summer I've done research to find STEM exposure for scholars and assist with several summer activities. 

David Gurrola
I graduated Round Lake High School in 2015, and currently am a rising junior at Kalamazoo College. I am currently double majoring in Computer Science and East Asian Studies, and am studying abroad in Kyoto, Japan for the upcoming school year. I am involved with the Latinx Student Organization (LSO), CS Interest Club, and work for the admissions office. After school, I would like to work for Google, as a Schuler Scholar Coach, or some other job that deals with Education or Software development. This summer I will be facilitating online programs for the scholars through the STEM internship program with Ron and Kip.

Michelle Luu
Hi! My name is Michelle Luu and I graduated from Waukegan High School in 2016. I’m going to be a sophomore at Haverford college this year, potentially majoring in chemistry and minoring in environmental studies. At Haverford, I run cross country and track, work for the school’s Phonathon program, and will be a tour guide in Admissions this year. As the camp intern, I’ve been going up to camp with every Schuler school and meeting all the new Scholars and staff of the program. I’m able to observe camp from a whole summer perspective, which allows me to find ways in which the camp program can be better than it already is! In the summer so far, I’ve learned a lot about how the camp program works from behind the scenes and also a lot about my own interests in education that I’ve never considered before.

Cristina Martin
My name is Cristina Martin and I graduated from Round Lake High School in 2016. Currently,  I am a rising sophomore at Macalester College in St. Paul, Minnesota. At Macalester, I work as a Library Technology Services Aide for the Collection Development Center, I volunteer for Admissions as a tour guide, translator, and prospective student host, and I am the Treasurer of Adelante (the Latinx organization on campus).  In this upcoming year, I hope to continue to take coursework Education, Psychology, and Sociology; in the future, I hope to be able to pursue a career in education, the nonprofit sector, or both!  This summer, I am a General Intern for the Schuler Scholar Program. As one of three General Interns, I have helped plan and staff College and Alumni events, aided Scholars and staff in Reading, Writing, and Research Programming throughout various partner high schools, and have co-created a bilingual re-branding/marketing video for the Round Lake High School Schuler Scholar Program. I am excited to have the opportunity to continue exploring the world of Nonprofit Education and to give back to the program that has given me so many opportunities and so much support.

Sebastian Sak
I graduated Maine East High School in 2016 and I currently attend Tufts University majoring in Civil Engineering. I am involved with club volleyball and with the pre-professional group American Society of Civil Engineers. Over the summer, I am interning for Schuler as a STEM intern. My tasks include facilitation of Aleks and CodeHS, but I am also doing research for STEM Scholar Coaches. My research involves discovering engineering related activities that Scholar Coaches can incorporate into STEP over the school year to teach students what engineering is and what an engineering mindset is. 





Comments

Popular Posts