Keepers of the Game Movie Analysis

By Christian Watson '20, Warren Township High School

Last month, scholars from WTHS went to view a documentary at the Milwaukee Film Festival titled “Keepers of the Game.” It offered interesting perspectives on gender, women in sports, and moments when you might clash with your own culture.


What was the movie about?
The movie was an amazing coming of age documentary. It’s about a group of teenage girls that live on an Indian reservation. They face some of the hard challenges of overcoming your culture’s ideas and morals. The girls love lacrosse and have a passion to play it. Although their culture doesn’t have the same beliefs, they strive to change that. Their culture has always had the belief that the only gender that played lacrosse was men. So, when this group of girls start to play the sport, they are frowned upon and not supported by everyone in the community. Their school tells them that they will not be funded, and to continue they need to find their own funding. They start having fundraisers and raise enough money to keep the team going. Eventually people start becoming more accepting of the idea of women playing lacrosse. Even important people in the community accept it. The clan mother sits the girls down and tells them that their culture is adaptable. She lets them know that they have her permission and support to play the game. After, the girls continue to go through many struggles. One girl even quits the team. Yet, the girls still persevere and rise above it all. They win some, and lose some, but they never gave up. They all learn friendship, teamwork, and perseverance. The girls eventually go on to play their rival school and win. They become the Keepers of The Game.
What did you think about the film? 
Honestly, I loved it. The movie was very inspirational and interesting. Now, before I get into my full opinion I want you to think about the word: “Documentary.” When I hear the word I think of a long, boring movie. I never hear my friends say, “Let’s watch a documentary.” I would have to say that this film changed the connotation of the word “documentary” in my mind. I learned that for a documentary to be interesting, it has to be about a certain topic that you like/are interested in. Now, my opinion. I loved this movie. Throughout the movie...I cried: I felt a connection with the girls, and I respected them so much. I cried because the girls were so perseverant and inspirational. I felt a connection with them because I have certain beliefs that my “community” doesn’t have. I had so much respect for the girls because they stood up for what they believed in and they never gave up.

Scholars Christian Alcantara ’19, Kaylyn Wright ’17, and Christian Watson ’20 at the Milwaukee Film Festival.


Comments

Popular Posts