Developing Your College List
- Check out the history and mission of the school. Typically there is an “about” section on the main page. Take a look at why the school was founded, by whom and the values that the institution holds.
- Look at the “fast facts” or “in brief” section to learn about the basic information about the school.
- Visit the Admissions page and sign up for their mailing list. It may say “mailing list” or “request further information.” This will allow you to receive more publications in the mail.
- See who your admissions representative is for that particular school, so you know who will be reading your application. You also may want to contact this individual later to ask questions.
- Click on the “academics” page and see what majors and areas of study the school has to offer. Explore these pages in detail. If they have a major you think you might want to study, make sure to see what classes are listed and how many professors teach in that department. See if any of the professor’s interests match yours.
- Check out the “Student Life” page of the website. See what sorts of activities have happened during the last year. See what clubs and activities exist. Get a feel for life outside of the classroom.
- If you are an athlete, make sure to sign up to be a prospective recruit. You will need your statistics to fill out these forms, but they are important if you want coaches to contact you to play in college.
- Peruse the website for student videos and other items that look unique to the school.