NCCHS Scholars reflect on Summer College Programs

Eight NCCHS junior Scholars had the opportunity to attend various Summer College Programs (SCPs) across the nation this summer, from Princeton University to Barnard College. Scholars reflected on their most memorable moments of SCP. 

"SCP was an amazing experience that allowed me to grow. I had the opportunity to attend Junior Statesmen of America at Princeton University and the National Hispanic Institute. SCP consisted of many memorable moments but one happened towards the end. I remember there were a few days left and I was sad that it was coming to end. I thought about everything that had happened and realized how much of an effect SCP had on me. Everything that happened and all the people I met changed my life. That for me was the most memorable."
Oliver Barrera, Princeton University

"The most memorable parts of SCP were the people and the activities because I met many people with similar interests as me as well as people from different walks of life. The activities (for example going to the nearest amusement park) were also a great opportunities to bond and get to know people." 
Jeremias Figueroa, University of Rochester

"A unique experience I had while on my SCP was when I went to Newport, RI. While I was there, a group of friends and I went out for lunch and explored the city. What made it unique was that it was a city I´ve never been to and we had a lot of freedom to explore."
Diana Gallardo, Brown University

"My most memorable moment at SCP is when I saw the Color Purple, Phantom of the Opera, and the Fiddler on the Roof on Broadway all in one week!  It was memorable because I had never seen a Broadway show until then." 
Asia Harrington, Barnard College

"One of my most memorable moments during my time at Carleton College was going to the Science Museum of Minnesota. At the museum, there was an exhibit called “RACE: Are We So Different,” and within it, a play called “Race To The Finish Line.” The play was about two colleagues who started to discuss the topic of race and began to drift apart as a result. This impacted me because I also feel like race is a hard topic to discuss with other people and that a strong friendship could easily be destroyed." 
Dennis Tanner, Carleton College

"My most memorable moment at SCP was when my floor stayed up until 1 a.m. on Friday and Saturday. We ordered pizza, played games, and listened to music that night. After that, we just asked questions about each other to get to know one another better. After that night, we all got along with each other and knew more about each other, something that many floors didn’t do.  It was memorable because we didn’t really know each other and we were all from different backgrounds but we still manage to get along and have fun that night." 
Jerry Tapia, Brown University

"My most memorable moment at Boston University was going to the Boston Harbor and getting on a ferry to go an island. It was my most memorable because of the boat ride. I also enjoyed the activities we did when we got to the island. The boat ride was the best because of the view we had of the city, and also I just love being on the water. When we got on the island we played a big game of capture the flag and that was amazing."
Ishaun Walker, Boston University

"My most memorable moment at SCP was when everyone hung out in the hallway and talked. We learned a lot about each other and met new people. We learned about everyone's life at home to what everyone's shoe size was. That was the moment we got close. We weren't at some college with people we didn't know, we were with close friends at a home away from home."
Jaelyn Washington, Washington University in St. Louis 

Comments

Popular Posts