What kind of Schuler Scholar do you want to be?

The CRSM Scholars from Class of 2020 completed their Transition to High School STEPs this January. Over the course of twelve weeks, freshman Scholars covered various topics that would help them adapt to their high school environment. Some topics that they learned include: the perks of having a growth academic mindset; skills to manage their time and stress levels; as well as effective study skills.

In addition to learning helpful skills, they had the opportunity to examine the communities they belong to and what support networks they have available to them. One of these communities is the Schuler community, and in learning more about this program they met Jack Schuler for a Q&A session early in the fall of 2016.

CRSM freshman Scholars with Jack Schuler.
It’s been about a year since freshman Scholars were inducted into Schuler and have experienced different moments with the program. Moreover, since they have completed their Transition to High School STEPs, they were recently asked to reflect on their experience with the Schuler community by answering two questions:

What kind of Schuler Scholar do you want to be? 

What expectations do you have of Schuler for this spring semester and the following three years? 

“I want to be a Schuler Scholar that makes it through all four years and is always challenging myself to go for things that I may be scared of at first but ends up doing just fine.” - Vannessa Ramirez

“I want to be the kind that gives it a lot of hard work and effort that doesn’t give up so easily. That uses feedback and all the help they can so they won’t do the same mistakes or do better the next time. I want to be Schuler Scholar that doesn’t let bad things bring me down, but instead will help me get stronger and be able to overcome any obstacle.” - Natalia Chacon

“I want to be the Schuler Scholar that does great in school but also interacts with everyone. I want to get good grades that would help me qualify for AP classes and allows colleges to see my dedication. With that, I would also be able to help fellow classmates when they are struggling with an assignment or class. I want to encourage others by committing to my school work and making it a priority. I would also want others to know that I am a trustworthy person and support everyone. Overall, I want to be the type of Schuler Scholar that represents the program by always being true to myself and continue doing my personal best.” - Yesenia Gonzalez

CRSM Schuler Class of 2020 at Induction last spring.
“I want to be motivational and determined. I want to learn to accept failure and work harder to come back and get a better grade next time. Knowing that I am not always going to do well on everything, I would like to stay optimistic and never give up by putting in the effort.” - Jocelyn Carbajal

“I would like to be a good Scholar, I would like to have good grades and have all the means to be a good Scholar. I would like to be the kind of Scholar that works hard every day and helps others when they need help. I think that a good Scholar needs to be generally a good person in order to be a good Scholar. Also, I would like to be more advanced and better at STEM subjects (that is what I perceive to be a "good" Scholar).” - Kassandra Rodriguez

“I would like to be a Scholar that does their personal best in classes, at home and the community. I want to work hard to achieve my goal in every class by taking down good notes to study. I also want to work hard because this program does so much that I will put all my effort into it.” 
- Ana Maria Galvan

“I want to be the best Scholar that I can be. I want to reach my goals and be a successful Scholar that will be known as the kid that went places and had a good time in high school, with all of his friends and Schuler family.” - Jose Trejo


CRSM Class of 2020 Induction 
“I want to be a “role model” type of Scholar. Note that this doesn't mean I'm going to be perfect since we all have ups and downs. I'd love to be like Kayla as an example. She is an example of a magnificent student. What I like about her is that she's not only good within the Schuler community but with the rest of the school too. She helps a lot, too.” - Alice Torres

“I want to be the Schuler Scholar that people would look up to for motivation. I want to be the best I could be in life and for others to know that everything is possible. The expectation I have of Schuler is to help me better understand somethings about myself that I didn't even know I had.” 
- Sabrina Ramos

“I want to be a fun but hard working Schuler Scholar. A Scholar that has good grades and doesn't let them go down...My expectations for Schuler is to be the same as last semester because I learned a lot and enjoyed every moment with the program.” - Felipe Zapata

“I would like to be a Schuler Scholar who is very motivated and is working to get something good for their future...I want to enjoy the next three years because someone once told me "Climb the mountain but enjoy the view " and yes I want to accomplish many things in high school but I don't want to be stressed out to the max either. I want to focus and accomplish my goals while I also enjoy my high-school years. I want to have school as a priority but still enjoy my years here because they will fly by.”- Lori Ruiz

“Last semester was very much about getting used to high school and practicing to learn how everything works. Overall I feel that it went okay, but I could have done something better. I'm pretty proud of this semester but I know I can do better.” - Jenifer Soto


Comments

Popular Posts