Cristo Rey: A Collective Poem

During the sophomore writing STEP at Cristo Rey, Scholars read the poem “Where I’m From” by George Ella Lyon and then wrote their own poems about where they are from. Each Scholar submitted their favorite line from their own poems to create a collective CRSM sophomore Scholar poem. One Scholar said, “It was pretty cool. Even though we’re all different and come from different backgrounds, at the end, it still came together.”


I am from tacos that are not made from “authentic” store bought taco shells to carnitas and tortillas
You can hear the busy streets from the bars on 12th to the stores on 16th
I’m from CRSM from the best well… sort of.. high school
Suffocating in the crowded halls and cafeteria except sort of not on Wednesdays
I’m from my mother’s womb, safest place on Earth, all I remember from the thunder is milk, banana bread, and my father’s hugs, the second safest place on Earth
It’s in Waukegan, a suburb town, a place where people know a little
From the long line of dreamers, who just wanted a better life
I am from the moments in the past that keeps me awake at night
From the color blue, happiest when around people I love
I am from stressing over work to watching Netflix, procrastinating at it's best
My family is small but our love is big  

Comments

Popular Posts