A Journey Back to the Ice


For Kim Rojas-Hernandez, Warren Township High School ’13 and current Highland Park High School Scholar Coach, figure skating was a passion she never truly left behind, even after an 8-year hiatus from the sport. This week, Kim had the opportunity to take Scholars to the rink so they could lace up their skates and experience the joys of being on the ice. We sat down with Kim to reflect on her experiences with skating and what it was like to share her passion with Scholars.
Talk about your journey into figure skating:
I vividly remember the 2002 Salt Lake City Winter Olympics and being drawn to figure skating. It was so artistic and looked like a lot of fun. I’d gone skating a few times with my brother when I was little and I’d enjoyed it. I’d always liked the feeling of gliding and enjoyed rollerblading, too. When I was 11 years old, I took my first ice skating lesson. At the time, I was choosing between taking guitar lessons and skating, and while we were at the guitar store, there was a guitar that I thought was really beautiful. I realized, however, that if it was between guitar and figure skating, I wanted to choose figure skating. I went to go sign up for lessons and, being in the first level class, I was amongst 6-year-olds, even though I was 11. I was able to jump two levels after two weeks because I already knew the basics. I really enjoyed pushing and bettering myself. It made me feel empowered to skate and I liked the way it made me feel. It was so liberating and made me feel comfortable in my skin and in my body.

What inspired you to get back on the ice after being away from it for so many years and how did it feel to finally be back:
Kim's childhood drawing
I skated up until I was 15, which was at the beginning of high school. I really felt like I had to focus on my academics and, if I wanted to continue skating, I would have to be very dedicated to it, because I’d gotten to the more advanced levels. I knew that I didn’t have the time or money to do that, so I decided that I wanted to focus on academics and stopped skating. I would go a few times a year just for fun and to not forget the skills I’d learned. Then, I got to college, where I had to really focus on my academics and on graduating. I would only skate a couple of times a year, usually during winter or summer vacations. I honestly never thought I would go back to skating. I thought I was done, and for the longest time, I thought that because I wasn’t a teenager anymore, I wouldn’t be able to do the same things. I felt like because I was older, I didn’t necessarily feel encouraged to keep skating. Now that I’ve graduated and have more time on my hands to do what I love, and in part with the recent 2018 winter Olympics, I was inspired again to figure skate. I was watching so many successful skaters of all ages compete at the Olympics, and I was so moved by the talent and artistry, so I decided to go back. It’s kind of funny that my ice skates that I got when I was 13 still fit me! I’m doing a lot of catching up in terms of strengthening my body to do all of the things that figure skaters do, so that’s been a process. I’m on my way and feel very empowered and motivated. I’m so thankful to be able to participate in the sport.

What was it like sharing your love of ice skating with Scholars:
Highland Park High School Scholars Skating Exposure
I take every opportunity to share my love of ice skating with others! I was excited to take Scholars, and I didn’t know what to expect in terms of comfort level or experience. Above all, I wanted them to feel safe and secure on the ice, which I know takes time and practice. I was so impressed by all of the Scholars. They had such great attitudes regardless of previous experience. Some Scholars were more comfortable on the ice than others, but the Scholars began feeling more confident on the ice by the end of the day. I was also moved watching Scholars helping each other out as they skated. I had initially factored in about an hour of skating, but Scholars were having so much fun that they wanted to keep going.

Advice for anyone reading this who wants to either get back into a hobby or start up one?
Kim skating during the exposure
I would say go for it! There was a reason why you liked it in the first place, and if it’s still on your mind and in your heart, then it means something to you. It’s never too late to start something new or revisit a past (and beloved) hobby. It’s so important to feel whole, and if a hobby contributes to that and you have the resources to participate, then definitely try to incorporate it into your life. I hope to ice skate throughout my lifetime, and I have never been so happy to say that.

Comments

Popular Posts