Scholar Artists Spotlight


Art has changed my life in a lot of ways, and it has given me a sense of purpose. Before taking Art 1 at Richard T. Crane Medical Prep, I did not know what I wanted to do with my life. My father, uncle, and grandfather are all very talented drawers, and so was I. But until taking that class, I had no idea I would develop my talents and turn them into a skill. My inspirations come from all the people around me. Growing up in Chicago, you notice all the people have their own single stories, and many of their stories are never heard and should be. Because of this, I have become involved in the art world. 

My current body of work consists of me telling the stories of my people in Chicago. I want to combat stereotypes about the African American community in Chicago and other urban communities. By doing this, I will not only be encouraging nostalgia through familiar images experienced by many Black people in Chicago, but by also showing others the beauty of these experiences.

 -        Leevon Mathews’19

"Breaking the System of Beauty"



"Generational Culture"

Comments

Popular Posts